Lateral and Entry-level Firefighter Opportunities
Central County Fire Department invites your application for the position of Entry level Firefighter.
Click here to view/download the recruitment flyer.
If you decide to pursue a fire service career, then a plan should be put in place to guide you towards your goal. To be a firefighter with the Central County Fire Department, you must meet our minimum employment qualifications. They are:
- Minimum 18 years of age at time of employment
- Eligible to work in the United States
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Current EMT-1, (B)asic, (D)efibrillator, or Paramedic licenser (National Registry acceptable)
- Valid California Class “C” license or equivalent.
- Candidates must be on the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center, “FCTC”, statewide eligibility list
When you have met the minimum qualifications (this oftentimes varies between departments), you can begin the actual testing process. For the Central County Fire Department, the testing process typically consists of the following:
- CCFD Hiring Committee interviews
- Fire Chief’s interview
- Thorough background investigation
- Physical examination along with drug screening
Once you have completed this extensive pre-employment process, you will join other recruits throughout San Mateo County and attend a fourteen-week fire academy.
After academy graduation, you will undergo more rigorous training and testing with the goal of successfully completing our Department’s eighteen-month probationary period. The training doesn’t end there, though. A career in the fire service means continuous training throughout the duration of your career. You should also consider the physical demands placed on firefighters and take steps to keep yourself in top physical condition throughout your career.
If you think a career with the Central County fire Department is the career for you, and you would like more information on how to become a Central County Firefighter, contact the CCFD Equal Employment Opportunity and Recruitment committee at (650) 558-7623 or the email address below.